A 60 minute gentle physical activity program suitable for beginners and older adults and individuals with chronic diseases.
This class focuses on improve on these 8 components of fitness.
Exercise at your own pace with a combination of freestyle activities on 10:30am Tuesdays focusing more on cardio and skills. Then on Thursday is a supervised gym session on 10:30am utilizing the ANU Sport Fitness Centre.
Functional Fitness is an integrated program designed for the individual who wishes to maintain or improve strength, balance and flexibility. Our program is built from a foundation of load bearing activities, supplemented with low impact and proprioceptive enriched exercises. These exercises mirror basic human movement patterns which you may face in everyday life.
Classes are based on functional movements and consist of:
- low impact warmup and dynamic stretches
- circuit of various exercises which work on upper and lower body strength and control, core/abs, balance and flexibility
- fun, low impact cardio
- finish off with core exercises and stretching.
Circuits specific focus (eg upper body, lower body, balance, cardio
The Wednesday Functional Fitness class focuses on load bearing activities, supplemented with low impact, mobilization and balance exercises and activities. The class is designed for the individual who wishes to maintain or improve whole-body strength, power, agility, balance and mobility with activities designed to imitate the basic movement patterns foundational to all human movement – promoting better, general function of the body.
The class will involve:
- mobility – to wake up the body, improve posture and develop range of motion
- strength – body weight or weighted exercise to increase whole-body strength and power
- balance – to enhance mindfulness, proprioception and body control through movement
- low impact cardio – walking, jogging and other travelling movement to improve gait, agility and coordination
Wednesday Functional Fitness is a 60 minute class for any age, experience, occupation or level of fitness. Individual needs and abilities of all participants will be fully catered for.
The Friday Functional Fitness class focuses on the components of mobility, flexibility and core strength. The class is designed for the individual who wishes to maintain or improve on these components to alleviate tightness throughout the body caused by everyday activities.
The class will involve:
- Stretching- with bands, individual and partnered
- Soft tissue manipulation- with rollers and massage balls
- Core strength- stability and control
- Floor work- crunches, pelvic tilts ect.
Friday Functional is a 60 minute class for any age or level of experience. Individual needs and abilities of all participants will be fully catered for.
College of Asia and The Pacific (CAP)
Functional Mobility and Flexibility (FMF)
Flexibility and Mobility are an important part of overall fitness. This 60 minute class held in the Dojo is designed to help individuals improve these components through Dynamic and Static stretching, self-mobilization of soft tissue, and gentle joint distraction.
This class involves individual work with rollers, massage balls and stretching bands as well as partnered work to achieve a greater result.
Main areas focused on can include:
- · Upper back
- · Chest
- · Lower Back
- · Gluteus
- · Quads
- · Hamstrings
Of which contribute to good posture and lower back health.
This class is suitable for office workers and students looking to improve their current flexibility and posture as well as individuals that are looking for a time to have a break and focus on their bodies.